Google+
Home | History | The History of the City Hall

The History of the City Hall

By
The History of the City Hall

San Luis de la Paz, Gto.  Thursday, June 28, 2012.  (By: Jose Omar García Hernández) -  The City Hall, located in our historic center, is not only the seat of the local government, but it is also one of the most representative buildings of the city.  It was built in the second half of the 19th century. It has had some renovations since then; the latest most important one occurred in 1977.  On Sunday July 1, we will select its next tenant, the City Mayor 2012-2015.

The Government Palace was originally programmed for construction in 1829; although its foundations were made until 1847.  The work was stopped because of the uprising of the Sierra Gorda, which extended from 1847 to 1849.  The labor continued in 1877 and was completed in 1880, while Pedro Fajardo was mayor.  It was made possible by funds from the municipality and donations from several neighbors.

We do not know if it took the place of the Royal Houses, seat of the colonial government, where the representatives of the Spanish crown worked and lived.  It could have been possible, because the Spaniards usually erected this building next to the public square, and the parish; that would be in our town the City Hall, the Main Garden, and the San Luis Rey Parish.

In modern times, it has had some modifications. The latest major one occurred in 1977, under the leadership of Governor Luis H. Ducoing Gamba, who was a San Luis de la Paz native.  This is the brief history of this building so loved by local people. When we are away and see it through photos or videos causes us melancholy for our beloved homeland.

Image gallery

  • Email to a friend Email to a friend
  • Print version Print version
  • Plain text Plain text
find us on facebook
follow us on twitter