Google+
Home | History | The Chapel of the Lord of the Orchard, Sacred Ruins

The Chapel of the Lord of the Orchard, Sacred Ruins

By
The Chapel of the Lord of the Orchard, Sacred Ruins

San Luis de la Paz, Gto. Saturday, May 19, 2012. Temples as the San Luis Rey Parish and La Virgencita are known by all local people. But in the past, a large number of chapels also existed in San Luis de la Paz.  Most have disappeared or are in ruins today.  One of them is the Lord of the Orchard, which was erected during the Viceroyalty, and its remains are located in Velasco Street. The image that was venerated there is still preserved, at an improvised oratory a few meters away.  In 2006, it was proposed to the Conservation of the Cultural Heritage of the State of Guanajuato Award.

The vestiges of the Chapel of the Lord of the Orchard are found at 312 Velasco Street. It is roofless and lacks the tower.  The latter was still there in 1952, for the celebration the fourth centenary of the founding of San Luis de la Paz.  The figure of the Lord of the Orchard was moved to a semiprivate chapel west of the street, across from a playground. It is preserved in excellent condition and is worshiped by the inhabitants of La Banda neighborhood.

Image gallery

  • Email to a friend Email to a friend
  • Print version Print version
  • Plain text Plain text
find us on facebook
follow us on twitter